Sunday, November 3, 2013

Interview with Marie Mason ~ Mate of the Alpha

Today we are interviewing Marie Mason, Author of Mate of the Alpha
Hope you enjoy!
2gy9k5u
 
1) What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The ending. It’s hard not to end a story too abruptly – readers really don’t like that. And of course, I think every writer would say the middle. The great thing about short novellas is the middle is very, very short. As a reader I sometimes flip through the “middle” of the book. I just want to see what happens next between the two main characters.
 
2) What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?
The research part is pretty much reading other romances with shifters – it’s a tough job, but anything for the craft, right? Sometimes it’s hard to put yourself in the mood to write. It feels like having to write a research paper and that’s not good. Finding the quality time to write is the most difficult thing to do.
 
3) Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
I was always the girl who went to the school library twice a week for new books. I think the desire to write for anyone evolves from the love of reading.
 
4) How much of the book is realistic?
Well, the relationships between two people – whether a shifter or human – is the same as real life. There are doubts, insecurities to face and the ability to let go and allow yourself to fall in love, to trust that other person with your heart. The feelings that one has for the person they love are the same in fiction and real life. To me, the paranormal/shifter element of a story just makes it much, much easier (and a whole lot hotter!) to write the alpha male. That’s the type of romance stories I read and the type I want to write.
 
5) Do you have a specific writing style?
Introspective? I try to write what I love to read or what the voices in my head are telling me to write. I’m not trying to write the next great American novel with deep meaning and soul searching bits of wisdom. Women read romance to feel good – about themselves and the possibilities of love.
 
6) How did you come up with the title?
The title usually just comes to me. Strange, but true. It’s usually a sentence or phrase from the story that inspires it.
 
7) If you were attending a Halloween party, what would your costume be and why?
I have never attended a Halloween party, but that is something on my bucket list. I would go to one of two extremes – the really sexy rendition of an angel or Cinderella or the sedate, demur interpretation waiting for Prince Charming or a demon to see the woman underneath the costume.
 
8) If you had to describe yourself using three words, it would be…
impatient, hopefully imaginative, and down-to-earth.
 
9) If you could visit any place in the world, where would you choose to go and why? 
I’ve never been to the beach. I’d like to walk along a shore line during the fall of the year and just listen to the ocean.
 
10) What takes you out of your comfort zone?
Being with people. I’m not much of a social animal, making small talk is difficult. I’d much rather be dreaming up a new plot with new characters.
 
11) Sitting alone in a big field, looking at stars, what do you think/feel?
That all is right with the world. It makes you want to sigh and say, ahhh, this is how it’s supposed to be – no noise, no demands, just being.

No comments:

Post a Comment